A change may well be coming, but it's not necessarily going to happen on its own.
It might, of course. I once heard Richard Florida talking about Jane Jacobs' experience as an anti-freeway campaigner in Greenwich Village in the 50s, during the height of Mcarthyism. Day after day, people were scared to sign petitions ... and then one day they just started signing -- who knows why? Maybe they just all decided "enough is enough".
But you wouldn't want to rely on it.
So how do we create change?
- Inverting Assumptions
- Virtuous Cycles
- Create yourself as a work of art
- Narrative, poetry, and other soft weapons
- Culture of Abundance
- On working with seductive people
- Create a Team of Rivals
- Make desire more important than fear (http://www.talesfromthe.net/jon/?p=156)
- Radical Reading (http://free-association.net/index.php?option=com_associations&task=displayAssociation&id=124)
- Civil Discourse (http://free-association.net/index.php?option=com_associations&task=displayAssociation&id=781)
- Gender, race, age, and power in online discussions, chapter n (http://www.talesfromthe.net/jon/?p=70) and n+1 (http://www.talesfromthe.net/jon/?p=189)
- Everyone knows: fun rules
- Fabulous principles
- Ad Astra strategic principles
- and, of course Act the way you want the world to be